Certifications: CrossFit Level 1, CrossFit Scaling, CrossFit Lesson Planning, Active Live RX Coach Training, OPEX Coaching Certification – Program Design (Theory), OPEX Coaching Certification – Functional Bodybuilding, Breazeal Gymnastics Seminar, CPR/AED
Previous Athletic Accomplishments: 2012, 2013 NCHSAA Wrestling State Qualifier; 2014 NCHSAA Wrestling State Placer
1. How did your fitness/CrossFit journey begin? After wrestling, I thought I’d focus on becoming more “fit.” I was mainly focused on aesthetic muscles, but after a few months I became bored. I became interested in CrossFit after watching a video on YouTube, but I was intimated after witnessing what they were capable of doing. A week or two later, a buddy approached my about trying out a local box. I finished my first workout, which I remember had around 60 pull ups in it and lots of overhead presses. Of course with no knowledge of what I was doing, I did everything strict. After the first round, I was completely out of breath, in full-body shock, incredibly humbled – and hooked.
2. Why did you decide to start coaching CrossFit? I love CrossFit for a lot of reasons, but one specific aspect really stands out to me. Just like wrestling, CrossFit will make you not only physically fit, but mentally fit as well. I t pushes you harder than you thought you were capable of and gives you this sense of accomplishment and confidence that effects all aspects of our life. I knew I wanted to teach others almost immediately!
3. What is your favorite CrossFit movement? Thrusters. Not because I’m best at them but because it is a full body crushing movement!
4. What is your least favorite CrossFit movement? burpees
5. What is your favorite benchmark workout? Fran, for sure!
6. What is your favorite “treat” food? Sour Patches
7. What runs through your mind when you hear “3..2..1..GO!”? My focus is 100% on myself. I put the blinders on and I go and stick to my strategy.
8. What is your advice to someone just starting CrossFit? My biggest advice for someone just starting comes from one of my favorite sayings. “Slow down. Calm down. Don’t worry. Don’t hurry. Trust the process.